The Hibernian Building at 18 Albion Street, Wakefield, Mass.

Title:
  • The Hibernian Building at 18 Albion Street, Wakefield, Mass.
Creator:
  • Klapes, Jeffrey M. , 1964-
Description:
  • Photos show views of the commercial building located at 18 Albion Street on the south side of the street at the corner of Foster Street. The structure was originally built around 1800 and located a few buildings to the east at the corner of Albion and Main Streets. Samuel Wiley had built the house, and later expanded it to include a tavern. In 1858 the building was raised and a first floor added underneath. It is at this time that it was known as the Quannapowitt House. In the 1780s the tavern was broken into pieces and moved. The southern end was moved to the current location at the corner of Albion and Foster Streets, and it was converted to a neo-Tudor style with ornamental half-timbering and a stucco exterior. Starting in 1924 it was used by the Hibernian Order. In more recent years it has also been known as the Sardella Building. The building now incorporates 6 Foster Street as well as the Albion Street address.
  • Detailed entry in building survey, "The cultural resources of Wakefield", pC45
  • Photos taken at 8:45 a.m. on Monday, July 28, 2008
Date:
  • 07-28-2008
Subject:
Coverage:
Contributor:
Publisher:
  • [Wakefield, Mass. : The author]

Citation

Klapes, Jeffrey M. , 1964-, “The Hibernian Building at 18 Albion Street, Wakefield, Mass.,” NOBLE Digital Heritage, accessed September 21, 2020, https://digitalheritage.noblenet.org/noble/items/show/4591.

Contact

Please let us know if you have any corrections, additional information or questions about this item.