Browse Items (5684 total)

Date: ca. 1929
Description: Image from the Wakefield Municipal Gas and Light Department annual calendar, 1995

Date: 1894
Description: "This view of the town of Wakefield was taken from Curve Street in 1894. Among the landmarks and buildings which can be seen are the Col. James Hartshorne House on Church Street, First Baptist Church,…[More]

Date: ca. 1890
Description: "Wakefield has always had 'common lands' since the first division of land among the early settlers. A special committee was selected to lay out the 'ways and watering places' through the Common in…

Date: 07-31-1921
Description: "The early beginnings of the Greenwood Union Church can be traced through historical records to the mid-1850's when the Sunday School was organized under the leadership of Henry Degan. The founders…[More]

Description: "The Greenwood Union Church has undergone many changes and additions since its first foundation was built in 1884. This church was actually established in 1873 as the 'First Congregational Society of…[More]

Description: "Greenwood Station was one of six stations in the Town at the height of railroad usage. Built after the first train came through the Town in the mid 1840s, the Greenwood Station was located near the…[More]

Date: 1930 - 1933
Description: "Teams of seventh grade boys, representing one team from each of the six Wakefield public grammar schools (Lincoln, Hurd, Franklin, Woodville, Warren and Greenwood), competed in the annual grammar…

Date: 1910
Description: "In his report to the Town for the year ending January 31, 1896, School Superintendent Charles E. Hussey noted that Greenwood students above the sixth grade had to 'come to the center of town to go on…[More]

Date: 1931
Description: "Greenwood was originally a part of Charlestown and 'Maldon' during the 1600s. Since it was mandatory for all men to attend church and participate in military drills, the men petitioned the…

Date: ca. 1800 - 1899
Description: "Thought to be built somewhere around the 1750s, the Green house on Main Street was owned by Isaac Green in 1846. According to the Town of Wakefield finance records of 1846, Isaac Green was paid…

Date: 1905
Description: "Members of the Horace M. Warren Post No. 12 of the G.A.R., 'ex-soldiers of the War of 1861-1865' often met at the group's 'corner' of the hall on Foster Street. The building, once part of the old…

Date: 1937 - 1939
Description: "The Gould Block, also referred to as the Walton Block, was one of the many downtown buildings razed during the 1930's to make way for the 'modern' structures which exist today. Formerly owned by…

Date: ca. 1929
Description: "Barbers Jim Giuliano, Concetto Giuliano and Carl Swim offered free haircuts to local boys and girls at the Water Street barber shop during the Depression. The shop was located at the corner of…

Date: 1983
Description: "During the spring of 1953, several enthusiastic girls tried their hand at softball, forming teams of nine with 'catchy' names. Coached by Miss Katherine Nichols, the girls played tournament style…[More]

Date: 1980
Description: "The first mention of girls' soccer at Wakefield High School was in the 1955 yearbook which noted that the girls played intramural games from September to November. The first girls soccer team was…

Date: 1927
Description: "Coached by A. Cheney, with M. Bunker as the faculty manager, the Girls' Basketball Team membership roster included (left to right) A. Sanders, E. White, M. Potter, L. Buckle, Captain M. Humphrey, C.…[More]

Description: "In 1919, a new sport was introduced at Wakefield High School which enabled girls to 'indulge in the history of competitive athletics.' Through the efforts of the Athletic Association, arrangements…[More]

Date: 07-21-1942
Description: "Motorists converged on Fred's Service Station at the corner of Main and West Water Streets one day before a gasoline rationing plan went into effect. As part of the War Price and Rationing Board's…[More]

Description: "The Wakefield Municipal Light Department not only provides electricity to its customers, but also supplies natural gas to the community. The town of Wakefield purchased the community's electric and…[More]

Date: ca. 1900
Description: "George W. Eaton, a lifelong resident of Wakefield and one of its best-known citizens at the time, was the proprietor of G.W. Eaton, Grocers. The store was located at 394 Main Street from 1889 to…