Browse Items (158 total)

  • Collection: Wakefield Municipal Gas and Light Department calendars

Date: 1930 - 1939
Description: Image from the Wakefield Municipal Gas and Light Department annual calendar, 1995

Description: Image from the Wakefield Municipal Gas and Light Department annual calendar, 1987

Description: "The Cyrus Wakefield Mansion was located on Main Street where the Wakefield Jr. High and Atwell Schools now stand. Cyrus Wakefield was instrumental in bringing the rattan industry to the town (then…[More]

Date: 1900
Description: "This solitary horse takes a drink from the horse trough on Main Street in 1900." -- Text from calendar.

Description: "In 1945, an ambitious project was proposed for Walton Field which would create a new football stadium with seating for 25,000, new baseball grounds with a grandstand (moving the diamond to the…

Description: "Walton Field, behind the Galvin Middle School, was the Wakefield High School athletic field until the current high school on Farm Street was opened in 1974. Soon after the completion of the new high…[More]

Date: ca.1880 - 1889
Description: "During the 1880s, James F. Woodward owned the house at 111 Albion Street. At the time, his property included a dwelling house, a stable, a tool factory, and nine to sixteen acres of land. It was here…[More]

Date: ca. 1875
Description: "The house at 40 Salem Street was occupied by the families of Ralph Woodward (pictured with his wife at right), and Henry Sweetser (at left, with his wife in the center of the photo.) At the left, in…[More]

Date: 06-11-1927
Description: "Members of the Wakefield High School Battalion participated in an annual exhibition and prize drill held at Wakefield Common. The 1927 event started with a parade from the Wakefield High School to…[More]

Date: 07-04-1953
Description: "Thousands of spectators watched the 4th of July Parade along the route that started at the West Side Social Club headquarters and ended at the Common. It was said to be the 'largest crowd ever.' In…[More]

Date: 10-16-1916
Description: "The 65th Annual Banquet of the Richardson Light Guard Company A was held in the armory on Wednesday night, October 18th. Dinner started at 7:45 p.m. and was followed by remarks from the guest…

Date: ca. 1940
Description: "The Albion Diner at 23 Albion Street opened for business in November, 1935. The diner replaced Clifford Mortimer's lunch cart, 'the Dog Cart' which was located where the WMGLD Albion Street office…[More]

Date: 1908
Description: "Now one of Wakefield's busiest intersections, the Albion Street and North Avenue (known as Railroad Avenue until 1910) area appears to be quite tranquil in 1908. The railroad crossing was operated…[More]

Date: 1930
Description: "This view of Albion Street may have been photographed from the Methodist Church which was located on Albion Street until the late 1930's. Although several homes were located along the lower portion…[More]

Date: ca. 1931
Description: "At first glance, Albion Street in the early 1930's looks much the same as it does now. On further inspection, the differences become apparent. Both Albion Street and Foster Street were two-way…

Date: 1931
Description: "Gasoline stations were evident on many street corners in business districts, including this one at 564 Main Street, at the junction of North Avenue, Main Street and Nahant Street. In 1930, American…[More]

Date: ca. 1924
Description: "The American Reed & Willow Company building was originally the Jenkins-Phipps Company, manufacturers of reed, rattan and willow furniture, which erected the building in early 1914, after purchasing…[More]

Date: ca. 1930
Description: "The Fire Department's Amoskeag Steamer works on the Nichols Ice House fire in a photo believed to be taken in 1930. The ice house was located on Main Street, Lakeside, opposite the Walton estate."…[More]

Description: "The two gentlemen are unidentified, as is the location and nature of the business in which they were employed. It does provide an opportunity to see inside a shop or manufacturing company in the…

Date: ca. 1930 - 1939
Description: "The gasoline station at 40 Water Street was owned by Arthur H. Saunders from the late 1920's until 1938 when an 'out-of-town' man bought the station, and owned it for one year. During Saunders'…