Browse Items (152 total)

  • Collection: Swampscott Buildings

Date: 1896
Description: Caverly's Grocery store later became the Railroad Avenue Professional Building--from Swampscott, Massachusetts : celebrating 150 years, 1852-2002, Swampscott Historical Commission, 2002.
Collection: Swampscott Buildings

Date: 1910
Description: George L. Chaisson, Boat Builders, was located at 9 Elmwood Road. The company was in existence some time before 1916 and continued until 1954. An advertisement for the company stated that it was a…[More]
Collection: Swampscott Buildings

Date: 1900?
Description: Exterior view of the A.G. Potter Wood and Paper Box company with male and female workers standing on the steps in front of the building.
Collection: Swampscott Buildings

Date: 1900?
Description: View of the interior of Tink Curtis' restaurant. The tables are covered with white table cloths and the restaurant is empty of patrons.
Collection: Swampscott Buildings

Date: 1902
Description: Exterior view of Jennie Robinson's Store showing a woman [the proprietor] posing in front of the door.
Collection: Swampscott Buildings

Date: 1900?
Description: Exterior view of the Swampscott Tavern on Humphrey Street. The Little Red Shoe Shop, later moved to Essex Street, is visible behind the tavern. Along the building's foundation, the remains of some…[More]
Collection: Swampscott Buildings

Date: 1922
Description: The Swampscott American Legion was located at 380 Humphrey Street in 1922. This building had formerly housed S.J. Pettingell's Grocery Store. As of 2008, the American Legion Post 57 (Leon E. Abbott)…[More]
Collection: Swampscott Buildings

Date: 1930?
Description: "Humphrey at the corner of Redington Street [approximately 1930] shows the variety of businesses to be found. At 146 Humphrey Street is Saint Clair's Restaurant (later the site of Eatons' Drug…
Collection: Swampscott Buildings

Date: 1900?
Description: "A mother and son [in a horse-drawn carriage] on Humphrey Street, approaching the intersection of Blaney Street. Behind them is Tucker's Market and J.L. Taylor's Barber Shop."--from Swampscott,…
Collection: Swampscott Buildings

Date: 1945?
Description: "Martin's Fish Market was established in 1902 originally it was Martin and Durgin at 436 Humphrey Street. The fish market remained in operation until 1966. The gift shop began after 1942 and was…[More]
Collection: Swampscott Buildings

Date: 1938
Description: The Holden Block was located at 128-136 Humphrey Street at the corner of Redington Street. George H. Holden's Grocery and Hardware Store dates from before the turn of the century and originally took…[More]
Collection: Swampscott Buildings

Date: 1900?
Description: View of the exterior of the George Smith Shoe Factory from across the street with workers posed in front.
Collection: Swampscott Buildings

Date: 1923
Description: The Methodist Church was once located at 24 Redington Street, which is now the site of the Hadley Elementary School.
Collection: Swampscott Buildings

Date: 1930?
Description: The Andrews Chapel was built in 1923 in memory of Isaac H. Andrews through a bequest to the Board of Selectman from his wife Ellen E. Andrews. Mr. Andrews had served as a town assessor and on the…[More]
Collection: Swampscott Buildings

Date: 1900?
Description: Located at 24 Redington Street, this is a view of the church looking from Blaney Street. It is now the site of the Hadley Elementary School --Swampscott Historical Commission Web site.
Collection: Swampscott Buildings

Date: 1924?
Description: View of the interior of the Swampscott Congregational Church from the rear of the building. The building is empty.
Collection: Swampscott Buildings

Date: 1890
Description: The First United Church was built in the late 1800's. This church was the composite of two churches, the Bethany Baptist Church and the First Christian Church ... In May of 1913, for their mutual…
Collection: Swampscott Buildings

Date: 1890
Description: View along unpaved Blaney Street, looking [direction] with churches on either side.
Collection: Swampscott Buildings

Date: 1925
Description: Partial view of the Methodist Church during the razing process, looking toward the right side of the building.;A Methodist Sunday school and church were formed in 1854-- MHC Reconnaissance Survey Town…[More]
Collection: Swampscott Buildings

Date: 1925
Description: View of the razing of of the Methodist Church on Redington Street.
Collection: Swampscott Buildings