Browse Items (11 total)

  • Collection: Walkable Reading

Creator: Walkable Reading
Date: 03-2010
Description: Bare Meadow is a 125-acre site located in the northeast area of Reading. Bare Meadow was acquired from three major sources between 1972 and 1973. The largest parcel was a gift from Miriam Corey. …[More]
Collection: Walkable Reading

Creator: Walkable Reading
Date: 03-2010
Description: 103 Washington Street : Parker Tavern. This structure was not built by a Parker nor is it a tavern as we know them today, but it has a long and important history. The house dates from the earliest…[More]
Collection: Walkable Reading

Creator: Walkable Reading
Date: 03-2010
Description: 529 Franklin Street : Old Nichols Home. Settlement in this area of Reading took place after the second land grants were distributed in 1686/7. John Nichols received a parcel at that time. He died…[More]
Collection: Walkable Reading

Creator: Walkable Reading
Date: 03-2010
Description: 483 Franklin Street : Richard Nichols House. As if the setting of this house on top of a high rise of land was not enough to catch a passerby's eye, then certainly the pumpkin colored facade makes…[More]
Collection: Walkable Reading

Creator: Walkable Reading
Date: 03-2010
Description: 458 Franklin Street : Now demolished. It seems a bit unusual to stop at an address that no longer exists and see two contemporary houses that replaced an old homestead. Although all vestiges of the…[More]
Collection: Walkable Reading

Creator: Walkable Reading
Date: 03-2010
Description: 420 Franklin Street. Surprisingly, Reading's earliest map drawn in 1765 does not show this house and yet historians believe it was built long before the map existed. Ownership can be traced back to…[More]
Collection: Walkable Reading

Creator: Walkable Reading
Date: 03-2010
Description: 409 Grove Street : The Foster-Emerson House. The home that now stands at 409 Grove Street was moved from its original location at 288 Grove Street in September of 1998. This house is often referred…[More]
Collection: Walkable Reading

Creator: Walkable Reading
Date: 03-2010
Description: 320 West Street : Bancroft Homestead. This home was built circa 1720, by a descendent of one of Reading's most famous families, the Bancrofts, who settled in Reading in 1673 on woodlots that their…
Collection: Walkable Reading

Creator: Walkable Reading
Date: 03-2010
Description: 284 Summer Avenue : Eaton-Prescott Farm. Originally situated on a 100 plus acre farm stretching from Woburn to Oak and West Street to Washington Street, this house sheltered a long line of the…
Collection: Walkable Reading

Creator: Walkable Reading
Date: 03-2010
Description: 232 West Street : Samuel Bancroft House. This property was part of a farm pieced together by Henry Merrow over the years between 1652 and 1681. The farm was well situated on fertile land between "two…[More]
Collection: Walkable Reading

Creator: Walkable Reading
Date: 03-2010
Description: 86 West Street : Jabez Weston House. This house marks a locus of very early town development, when West Street marked the western boundary of town settlement. The Weston family owned a great deal of…[More]
Collection: Walkable Reading