Browse Collections (10 total)
Walking tours of three neighborhoods in Melrose: The Village, Main Street and East Side, Upham Hill, courtesy of the Melrose Historical Society.
Sponsors of Melrose Walks: Regan Real Estate, Marie T. Wood Real Estate, RE/MAX Heritage, C-21 Sexton & Donahue, Melrose Co-operative Bank, Coates &…[More]
Melrose Public Library owns a number of books and maps about Melrose history which have been scanned and made available online through the efforts of the Internet Archive, State Library of Massachusetts and the Digital Commonwealth.
What was Melrose like in 1898? A quilt with the names of more than 150 Melrose residents helps us understand how things have changed in 120 years...and how things are always the same. In December 2018, Melrose celebrated the homecoming of the Victorian era quilt inscribed with names of people who…[More]
The Melrose Public Library recently received a call from a long-time patron in desperate need of a recipe for her Thanksgiving table. She had misplaced her favorite lemon bread recipe, the one she’d been using since 1977 when Melrose Public Library staff created a festive holiday recipe pamphlet…[More]
Views in Melrose and Clifton, Mass., Dec. 25, 1884
This collection of family photographs from 1858 to 1899 (most are dated 1872) are taken of Victorian homes located on Vinton Street between Cedar and East Foster Street, and Park and High Street. According to "Part of Melrose" map published by…[More]
Melrose Public Library now offers online digital access to Town and City Annual Reports thanks in part to the Boston Public Library Digital Commonwealth project. Town and City reports are part of the Internet Archive founded in 1996, a non-profit digital repository offering permanent access to…[More]
Having a great time… wish you were here. Visit historic Melrose via the library’s digital collection of scenic postcards depicting municipal buildings, churches, schools, historic homes, and other current and long ago scenes of Melrose. From Ell Pond to Mount Hood and trolleys to shoe factories,…[More]
The Melrose Public Library collection of High School Yearbooks dates back to 1925. The first yearbook was called The Whatnot. Over the next several years the name has changed from The Record to The Highlight and The Spotlight to its current name The Log in 1929. Melrose Public Library now offers…[More]
A Pictorial Record of Melrose by the Melrose Camera Club circa 1947 contains photographs taken of various city and school buildings, religious institutions, historic homes, and select monuments and landmarks throughout the city of Melrose. The Camera Club was formed in 1933 with fifteen members who…[More]
Once known as Bear Hill, Mount Hood is located in the southeastern part of Melrose near the Saugus line. The Mount Hood Municipal Golf Course, operated as part of the Mount Hood Recreational Center under the Park Commission, was started in 1933 as a Federal works project and officially opened on…[More]