Welcome to our Digital Heritage collection!
The Lynnfield Public Library's Digital Heritage collection presents oral interviews relating to the history of our community.
The town of Lynnfield was first settled in 1638 and was made a district separate from Lynn in 1782. It was later officially incorporated in 1814.
The first public library in Lynnfield began as a social organization with shareholders and went through various iterations until 1890 when the Commonwealth offered $100 to every town that would appropriate an equivalent amount to establishing a free public library. The Lynnfield Public Library opened on July 22, 1892 with a collection of 554 books in a room in the then new Town Hall. In 1904 the library moved to its present location on Summer Street opposite the Common in what was the former Center School House dating from 1856. An addition in 1959 expanded the building by 700 square feet. The addition that brought the library to its present size with its expansive light-filled Reading Room, the mezzanine and the Palladian window that fronts the Common was finished in 1967 and dedicated on December 3, 1967. The most recent renovations to the library occurred in the early 1990’s to make the building ADA compliant, install air conditioning, and convert unused space for additional collections. The remainder of the 1990’s through the 2000’s ushered in numerous changes to services, programs, and collections. In 2017, the library had 73,000 items in the collection.
During the period from 1970 to 1980, as part of an ongoing Bicentennial project, a number of Lynnfield residents were interviewed under the auspices of the “Historical Resource Center” at the Lynnfield Public Library. Interviewers included Marcia Wiswall, Director of the Lynnfield Public Library, and Natalie Brooks, librarian and Lynnfield Public Library Trustee. The fourteen interviews covered a wide range of topics focused on the history of Lynnfield as well as life and work in Lynnfield over the years.